Support Forum

Archiv:

Archive for April 2013 / Whishes category

Hello Jeff et al,

I completely agree with all of you that a reference layer is a neat idea. I know it comes in really handy for me when working with CAD software to design PC boards. The biggest issue for me is the "what you see is what you get" quality to our software. For a reference layer, we would have to come up with a creative way to make it extremely obvious that what is seen will not be milled into the panel.

In my own past experience, I would leave my reference items grouped together, then mirror them across the origin (horizontally) when I needed to move something, then move them back. Right before placing my order, I would remove the reference objects, save a _final version, and order that.

I think maybe this should be an option that takes some effort to activate? What do you all think?

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Jul 12, 2010 06:48PM

Most of my front panels have a PC board on the underside. The one I am presently working on has LEDs and 7-segment displays which protrude through the front panel and have pins which will be inserted into the PC board. A non design layer would be God-sent. I presently print the front panel design and draw the PC board on it, avoiding switches and other front panel objects. I would welcome such a layer where I could hopefully group objects from this layer to the front panel drawing. I would like to be able to print the layers combined and separate. Thank you. Larry

Posted By: Larry Smith on Jan 23, 2011 08:47AM

Hello Larry,

Up until the time that we are able to integrate this idea into our software, here is an idea for you.

Generally the PCB production files can be converted into .plt plotter files, and these files can be imported into our software. With the PCB artwork temporarily laid out in Front Panel Designer, it becomes much easier to position elements with confidence.

I have also used the print function, as many PCB cad software packages also have the 1:1 printout option, and laying the two over each other on a light table allows for quick verification.

Kindest Regards,

Paul Birkeland

Customer Service

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Jan 24, 2011 05:13PM

-If nothing else, it would be very helpful to get an option to include an "outline" to macro parts that you don't have to go in and delete before production. We place and use a lot of mil-style connectors.. so a big center hole, 4 corner holes.. but there is a flange sticking out from the corner holes, so if I make the Macro just as 5 holes.. placing 80 of these connectors on a front panel while ensuring that the flange spacing is appropriate, suddenly gets challenging. What we/I do is draw in an outline on the macro part, then lay out the panel, then go through and delete all the outline engravings.. which takes a lot of time.

Posted By: Kjell-Edmund Ims on Feb 24, 2011 07:18PM

After another year, this thread deserves a good bump.

A non-machined design layer would really help.

-Chris

Posted By: Chris Knudsen on Feb 23, 2012 10:34PM

Hi,

I just wanted to vote again for a non-design layer (layout layer) for printing and documentation that can be printed, but is never machined.

If you polled users I think this would be the number one new feature that we'd like you to add as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!

JoeT

Posted By: Joe Torre on Jun 29, 2012 04:48PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+