Support Forum

Archiv:

• PCB mounting 0.05" above the plate

Hi,

I have a design for a thermal cold plate which has several PCBs mounted 0.05" above the plate. In the previous production the mounting was achieved by having 4-40 threaded blind holes concentric with 4.6 mm circular cavities of 0.73 mm depth. A 2 mm spacer in each cavity defined 1.27 mm mounting height.

I'd like to change mounting points to 4-40 studs with 5.08 mm depth offsets. That leaves 0.05" protruding part. My question is, what kind of variation can I expect on that height?

Posted By: Dmitry Teytelman on Oct 24, 2017 03:24AM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hi Dmitry,

Our machining tolerance is +/- .1mm / .004"

If you have any other questions let us know.

Posted By: Adrian on Oct 25, 2017 01:19AM

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your response! I do have a few more questions. If I machine a 0.73 mm deep cavity and set a 2 mm spacer in it, with +/-0.1 mm tolerance I get height above the plate of 1.27+/-0.1 mm.

With the standoffs, is there additional spread due to differences in standoff installation depth? If I take 4-40 standoff with 5/16" length and specify 6.67 mm depth offset, do I still get 1.27+/0.1 mm expected spread?

Finally, a slightly different question - is there a obvious better way of doing this that I am missing?

Posted By: Dmitry Teytelman on Oct 25, 2017 01:35AM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+