Support Forum

Archiv:

• Create island in cavity?

I need to have a circular island in a cavity. That is, if I'm starting with 4mm material, I need to have a rectangular area milled down 2mm but have a circle in the middle still up to full height. Can I do this with a circle-in-rectangle cavity (depth of 2.0mm but inner depth of 0.0mm)?

If this won't work, is there a way to do this, other than carving out a bunch of cavities around the island which will end up only kind-of circular?

Thanks

Posted By: Ted Marshall on Apr 02, 2010 07:49PM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hello Ted,

You describe exactly the function of the object 'circle in rectangle cavity'.

The rectangle will be milled as a pocket and will leave the circle in the center as island.

You also can have the center milled down to a lower depth (let's say in your example to a depth of 1mm). In this case you would need to place a second 1 mm deep circular cavity on top of the island. The depth of all cavities is always absolute to the material surface not to another cavity.

And if you don't want the circle centered to the rectangle you only need to wait until April 12. Our new version of Front Panel Designer will offer an offset for the island. You will be able to move it in X and Y within the cavity.

The new version 4.0 can be downloaded from our website next Monday, April 12. It will be available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Apr 03, 2010 06:22PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+