Support Forum

Archiv:

• hole size tolerances

Hello,

I'm wondering what the general tolerance is for hole sizes.

I received an order today in which a few 0.125 inch were used, intended for press-fit dowel pins. The dowel pins are loose instead and I found that a #30 drill (nominally 0.128") passes easily through those holes.

It would help me to know what precision to expect.

I can just use slip-fit loctite for now, but in the future should I specify any special tolerance in the order notes (or elsewhere?), or have them drilled smaller and ream precision-diameter holes myself? I have low volumes so that wouldn't really be a problem for me either.

Thanks,

Ed Heitzman

Posted By: Ed Heitzman on Jul 26, 2010 08:47PM Category: Production

Hello Ed,

Our tolerance for holes, engravings, sizes, and thickness is +/- .1mm.

For your .125" drill hole, it would not be out of the ordinary to receive a panel with a .129" hole. If, however, you measure the hole with a caliper and find that the dimension is measurably larger than that, please contact us.

Sincerely,

-Paul Birkeland

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Jul 26, 2010 08:57PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Paul.

For what it's worth, these holes are 1/8 inch diameter, not 1/4. They are within that +/- 0.1mm spec though.

I thought they might be tighter, at least when using "standard" sizes. Do you use the closest metric drill when "inch" sizes like this are specified?

In any event in the future I'll be sure to make any lower-tolerance holes a bit smaller and ream them true myself.

Best regards,

- Ed

Posted By: Ed Heitzman on Jul 27, 2010 02:00AM

Hello again Ed,

(I amended my post above)

When you have specific needs concerning really tight tolerance holes, it is always good to leave a note in the "Remarks for Production" box in the panel properties, or to give us a call.

Sincerely,

-Paul Birkeland

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Jul 27, 2010 05:48PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+