Support Forum

Archiv:

• Difference between cavity and blind hole

I have a question, what is the difference between a circular cavity and a blind hole with a diameter of 1.25"? They seem to do the same but the cavity is much more expensive. When I want a 3mm cavity in a 4mm panel, is there a danger that when using a blind hole it may punch through instead of having a nice flat bottom?

Posted By: Kim Beumer on Dec 08, 2010 06:56AM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hello Kim,

Thank you for contacting us about Front Panel Designer. The pricing issue you have discovered has been remedied in the newest version of our software, Front Panel Designer 4.11. (The correction was more to lower the price of the cavity instead of increasing the price of the blind hole)

Click on the photo below to see pricing for a 1.25" x 0.03" deep cavity and blind hole in FPD 4.11.

[img>http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4561/drillholecavity.png[/img>

There is no danger of using a blind hole instead of a cavity, just be sure to leave at least 0.5mm of material below the blind hole.

Kindest Regards,

Paul Birkeland

Customer Service

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Dec 08, 2010 05:15PM

Thank you, I will download the latest version.

Posted By: Kim Beumer on Dec 08, 2010 08:44PM

I just downloaded the 4.11 version and it still has the price difference, $5.06 for the cavity and $3.04 for the blind hole. Is there a way to update the pricing file?

Posted By: Kim Beumer on Dec 09, 2010 01:26AM

Hello Kim,

You are correct, those two items are not properly aligned (I previously had not set the depth to 3mm).

I will report this to our software designers and we should see this issue corrected in the upcoming release.

For now feel free to use the drill hole and take advantage of the lower price!

Kindest Regards,

Paul Birkeland

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Dec 09, 2010 01:48AM

I have another cost question. It appears that a hole plus a blind hole is a lot cheaper than a countersunk hole. Is this true and I am kinda curious as to the reason.

So when doing a countersunk hole are some configurations cheaper than others and if so which ones?

Kim

Posted By: Kim Beumer on Dec 12, 2010 07:30AM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+