Support Forum

Archiv:

• New to FPE and fisrt question

Hi,

I'm new to FPE although I have been "playing" with the software a little bit in the past. I purchased a commercial preamplifier with a FPE chassis and like it very much. I intend to build several chassises to match it.

My first question is: I want to thread a switch on the front panel. The switch has a 1/4-40 bushing thread. Am I right to assume that since it will be mounted from the inside on the frontpanel I should use a #4-40 threaded hole placed on the reverse side?

Thanks,

Xavier

ps. PB, if you read this you know what commercial product I'm referring to!

Posted By: Xavier Cortes on Jan 07, 2011 05:13PM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hello Xavier,

Welcome to our forum, I was most pleasantly surprised to see your name pop up on my e-mail this morning.

To mount a threaded 1/4-40 toggle switch, you will need to manually create that hole. To do this, create a threaded hole where you would like to have your power switch (the particular threading isn't important, just pick one to start). We will use Standard units for all measurements for consistency with the part you desire.

When a threading has been selected, check the box that says "Manual Thread Parameters". Though the 1/4-40 thread is very standard for toggle switches, it is impossibly rare for fastening hardware, so we will need to specify it manually.

With the "Manual Thread Parameters" box checked, you can now change the hole diameter back to 1/4". The thread pitch is 1/40, or .025". Those two parameters will provide the threaded hole you need for your switch.

If you need some additional assistance with your project, feel free to e-mail me and I would be happy to help you out. I have received explicit instructions from that "Commercial Vendor" to share with you whatever you need.

Sincerely,

Paul Birkeland

Customer Service

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Jan 07, 2011 05:30PM

Hi to all. I am also an absolute novice with FPE software. I am doing an extremely simple front panel and have followed the tutorial. However, I can not for the life of me figure out how to simply insert plain old screw holes around the edges that are at set intervals and equidistant from the edge. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Sorry for the silly basic question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted By: Frederick Feldbauer on Apr 07, 2011 07:50PM

Hello Frederick,

Thank you for contacting us with your question.

What you would want to do is to start by inserting the first drill hole in one corner, as is described in the tutorial.

Next, select that drill hole, then use the move function. Specify your dX (horizontal spacing between holes), check the box "apply to copy", then hit OK. This will create your second hole.

You can now use Ctrl+R to repeat this action and create a line of holes across your panel.

This same process can be done by specifying a dY to copy holes vertically. One entire collection of holes on an edge can be selected, then using right-click+mirror, you can mirror that set across the center of the panel and apply to copy to create the same patter on the opposite edge.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kindest Regards,

Paul Birkeland

Customer Service

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Apr 07, 2011 09:28PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+