Support Forum

Archiv:

• Uncertain Thickness of Panel

I will be sending in my own panels for machining, however I am unsure as to how thick I should state they are in the FPE software.

The panels have "flanges" along their "circumference," used for mounting the side and top panels to the front and rear panels. Think of these as angle brackets which are permanently welded to the panel.

Further, the panels have actually been milled so that the bulk of the area is thinned out even further. This picture should (I hope) demonstrate what I mean:

All cutting would be in the thinned area only.

Given the thinned part is 4mm thick, the panel proper is 8mm thick, and the panel + flanges is 12mm high when laid on its back, which number should I put into the software?

I would guess 4mm, since this is the thickness to be cut. However, I am uncertain of how the cnc software actually works, if it is concerned with the thickness to be cut, or the total height of the total piece of metal.

I hope this all makes sense, it is rather confusing :( I am happy to clarify anything and everything.

Posted By: Douglas Krause on Apr 03, 2011 10:06PM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hello Douglas,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your project.

You are quite correct, 4mm is the correct choice in this situation.

It is also worth mentioning that we verify all panel dimensions when we receive customer provided material, and we will adjust the thickness if necessary.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Paul Birkeland

Customer Service

Posted By: Paul Birkeland on Apr 04, 2011 05:07PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+