Support Forum

Archiv:

• Rectangle in Rectangle Cavity

I am designing for material that I plan to supply. The material is ~1.8mm thick and is powder coated. In the Designer Software I have selected 2.00mm thick since it gives an error when I select 1.5mm thick.

I want to make a rectangular hole with a cavity surrounding it with a material thickness of 1.5mm. I assume the "Rectangle in Rectangle" option is the one I want to choose. However, I don't know which depth to specify. Should I select a depth of 0.5mm since I selected the 2.00mm material in the properties? or should I select a depth of 0.3mm since the actual material is 1.8mm?

Edited: 2/23/12

Posted By: Jason Meeusen on Feb 22, 2012 11:17PM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hello Jason,

I just went through the forum posts and noticed that you didn't get an answer to your question. I am sorry for the late response.

Please choose the next available material thickness when providing your own material. In your case 2mm is fine. All cavity depths are related to the surface of the material, either front or back side.

Our machine operators adjust the thickness of the material prior to milling directly in the machining code. Therefore, 0.3mm would be the correct depth if you need 1.5mm remaining material.

I admit this can be confusing because we don't know if you need 0.3mm cavity depth or 1.5mm remaining material when providing a material thickness that is not supported in Front Panel Designer. I suggest to leave us a note in "remarks for production" to ensure that we make the necessary changes for you.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Mar 26, 2012 04:05AM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+