Support Forum

Archiv:

• Can a powder-coated panel be engraved?

Hi,

Subject line pretty much says it all. I've had several panels done by FPE but I've never tried your powder-coat finishing. Is it possible to engrave a powder-coated panel?

Thanks--

--Adam

Posted By: Adam Schabtach on Jun 24, 2012 06:29PM Category: Production

Hi Adam,

It certainly is possible to engrave powder-coated panels. The design process in Front Panel Designer is the same.

Here is an example of a powder-coated panel with several different infill colors.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Jun 25, 2012 09:10PM

Hi Adam,

It certainly is possible to engrave powder-coated panels. The design process in Front Panel Designer is the same.

Here is an example of a powder-coated panel with several different infill colors.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Jun 25, 2012 09:24PM

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your reply. That panel looks very nice!

EDIT: Sorry, it looks like my questions were already answered here: www.frontpanelexpress.com/support/forum/index.html

I have started the design of a panel which I will probably order with powder-coat. I am curious about this remark in the help file: "Please also note that the resulting powder coating is not of uniform thickness, but systematically increases right at the edges and corners." I am wondering how thick the coating actually is, and whether I have to be concerned about it filling in small engravings and/or holes. For instance, I need holes with a diameter of 0.102" for LED light pipes. Should I increase the diameter of these holes to allow for the thickness of the coating? What about engraving small text?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

--Adam

Posted By: Adam Schabtach on Jul 16, 2012 09:09PM

Hi Adam,

The powder-coated layer is about 0.07mm (0.0028") thick.

You can have holes with tight tolerances machined after the powder-coating process, also the engravings. Just design your front panel to your specifications and leave us a note in the "remarks for production" box. You can have some cutouts machined prior to powder-coating and others after powder-coating. We charge $15.50 for the second machine setup. Future versions of FPD will allow you to make such selections in the software yourself.

Since this process still needs improvement on our side, we call all customers with orders that include powder-coated parts in the meantime. Our customer service representatives will be happy to go with you over your design and help you to make your project a success.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Jul 17, 2012 03:33AM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+