Support Forum

Archiv:

• Quality of panel back side finish

I just recently received an order for an enclosure using the housing profiles. Everything appeared to be excellent until I flip the panels over and noticed everything from scratches to rub marks. In most cases this turned out not to be a problem. However on an inner enclosed area to save money, I did the cavities on the front side, thinking I could simply flip them over when I assembled it. Well luckily I had opted to use counter sunk screws on the outer main panels, so this required that I did the cavities on the reverse side, thus saving the day.

Anyway I've had panels made before and never noticed such poor quality on the back side, nor have I seen anything mentioned about it in the FAQs or on this forum. Has something changed, or did I just get something that slipped through QC? As it turned out since this is only an issue with the flipped inner panels, it won't be apparent when the enclosure is fully assembled. But then again this was a very expensive project at nearly $1,400 and it caught me by surprise.

So I guess my bottom line question is: Are there no guarantees on the finish quality for the panel back side, and/or is there an option to specify that both sides of the panel should have a high quality finish?

Posted By: Michael St. Pierre on Sep 10, 2012 08:21AM Category: Production

Hello Michael,

Thank you for letting us know that there was a problem with your last order. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a high quality finish of the back side of anodized material. It is mentioned on our product site. The reason is that we only receive our raw material only with a protection film on the front side. Having both sides with a high quality finish would raise the cost dramatically and we would need to pass it on to or customers.

However, we try our best not to add additional damage to the backside during the machining process. Excessive or deep scratches on the back side lead to rejection in our QC process. So your parts must have slipped through. My apologies for that. Please feel free to contact us. I am sure we can make it up to you with your next project.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Sep 10, 2012 08:02PM

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the link, and yes it shows quite clearly that the back side quality is not guaranteed.

The scratches I saw were not deep, but they are obvious, as well as what appears to be rub marks. I guess in my past projects it was just the luck of the draw that I received panels with a high quality back side finish.

No need to apologize. I just should have paid better attention when I was reading your website. Anyway it's the outside that counts, and as can be seen in the photo below the quality is superb.

Posted By: Michael St. Pierre on Sep 12, 2012 03:23PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+