Support Forum

Archiv:

• 19" Rack Panel System Holes

I am designing a 6RU 19" rack panel. When I add the system holes, four holes appear in the four corners of the panel but I need to add more standard size rack holes on each side. Generally, a 6RU rack panel has four holes on each side and not just two. Ideas on how to add these?

Paul

Posted By: Paul Christensen on Sep 10, 2012 01:52PM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hello Paul,

Front Panel Designer lets you choose from two rack mount panel system suppliers, Schroff and Fischer. Both have two mounting holes on each side of a 6U panel. The additional drill holes are for the handles.

However, you can copy or move everything that is on your design. Those system holes are a template and you can even delete parts of it.

Let me know what spacing you need between the holes. I can help you with the design.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Sep 11, 2012 02:03AM

Diane,

That worked well. I now have the extra rack holes added.

My rack panel is nearly complete. I did notice that one of my 3" holes will not exactly center in line with the other three. It's off by about one pixel and no amount of movement will get it on the exact center line with the other holes. Does the software have a "snap to" function like some other CADD programs? If not, I'll just start over by deleting, then addding. Many thanks!

Paul

Posted By: Paul Christensen on Sep 11, 2012 01:48PM

Hi Paul,

There is a snap on function for new placed objects. But I recommend to activate the 'Object Properties' window. You can find it in the toolbar under 'View'

This will show you all relevant info of an object once selected. The first two entries in the object properties show you the X and Y coordinates. Those can be edited and allow you to align everything to each other perfectly.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: Diane Haensel on Sep 11, 2012 07:45PM

Diane,

That fixed it perfectly.

One other nagging question. Under panel properties, I have selected a 6RU height standard rack size. I thought that a EIA standard 6RU rack is precisely 19" wide by 10.5" in height. But when selecting the program's pre-determined 6RU height, the panel dimensions are 19.0157" wide and 10.4665" in height. Sure, just a fraction off but is there a reason for this discrepancy? Thanks!

Paul

Posted By: Paul Christensen on Sep 12, 2012 03:00PM

I believe this may be a correct answer to the question as it relates to EIA RU height, but not the 19" width discrepancy:

"Typically, a piece of equipment being installed has a front panel height 1⁄32 inch (0.031 inches / 0.787 millimetres) less than the allotted number of "Us." Thus, a 1U rackmount computer is not 1.75 inches (44.5 mm) tall but is 1.719 inches (43.7 mm) tall. 2U would be 3.469 inches (88.1 mm) instead of 3.5 inches (88.9 mm). This gap allows a bit of room above and below an installed piece of equipment so it may be removed without binding on the adjacent equipment."

Paul

Posted By: Paul Christensen on Sep 13, 2012 02:09AM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+