Support Forum

Archiv:

• DXF import confusion

Hello, I have all of my front panel cutouts drawn in a cad program and would like to import them directly in Front Panel Designer 4.14 for MacOS (instead of re-drawing them in FPD), but I'm confused as to which cutting tool to select in the Free Contour Properties window. I would think I should select a cutter tool that is at least as thick as my panel (3.0mm) since I want cutouts and not cavities, but when I do that many of the cutouts disappear. If I select a smaller cutting tool then all of the cutouts show up. Which is correct? Thanks.

Posted By: Gregory on Mar 08, 2013 02:46AM Category: Front Panel Designer

Hello,

The bigger the tool the better. This will reflect in pricing since a bigger tool requires less milling time.

However, some of your imported objects may not allow a 3mm tool diameter and therefore won't be milled (and not shown in the Designer.) Examples are smaller drill holes or cutouts with small corner radii.

The whole import can become expensive when you choose the smallest tool diameter with 1mm. I recommend to do two or more imports, one for each appropriate tool.

Don't worry about the material thickness for tool selection. Just go by geometry.

I hope that helps. You can also email (info@frontpanelexpress.com) us your fpd file and have us optimize it for you.

Best regards

Diane

Posted By: DianeHaensel on Mar 08, 2013 08:45PM

Thanks!

Posted By: Gregory on Mar 15, 2013 08:25PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+