Support Forum

Archiv:

• Bending Chromated Panel

Doing an amplifier chassis out of 2.5mm anodized/chromated stock and want to make it a "U" shaped piece with bends for the front and back panels. I know chromium is brittle - how about the coating you use?

Looking at a rounded 90 at the rear and a sloped panel up front.

Also wondering about milling the inside thickness down at the bend points? I've done it with a carbide flat bit in a router with many many passes just shaving the metal, but wondering if there's a better way. I figure around a quarter inch wide and half the thickness the full width of the chassis plate should make it possible to clamp the panel and bend it by hand.

Posted By: sKiZoo on Apr 22, 2013 05:27AM Category: Production

Hello,

The chromated finish is always on the back of the part (if not requested otherwise.) The chromated side is conductive, making it suitable for EMC applications.

I don't see a problem with bending it since it is on the back. However, the anodization on the front will crack most likely. We can send you some material samples if you like.

And there is always the possibility of machining customer supplied material. You can buy off-the-shelf u-shaped parts from many suppliers for reasonable money and have us do the machining. Just a thought.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: DianeHaensel on Apr 24, 2013 08:08PM

We are looking for an alternative to in house services in my group. I am wondering then if, as it sounds above if you can provide a panel anodized on front and chromated on back and infilled engraving on both sides.

Posted By: Robert Mueller on Jul 08, 2016 10:10PM

Hi Robert,

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry and we are happy that you reached out to us as a possible new supplier for your group.

We offer anodized material as well as anodized material with chromated backsides that you can get engravings infilled on both sides as well. One thing we should mention is that we cannot guarantee a totally scratch free backside due to our production process and material handling so slight surface scratches might exist on the backside. Just download our free Front Panel Designer software to design your panels and let us know if you need any design assistance.

Please don't hesitate to contact our customer service in case you have more questions.

Kind regards,
    Fabian

Posted By: Fabian on Jul 09, 2016 02:13AM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+