Support Forum

Archiv:

• Epoxied studs

What is the pull-out resistance of the epoxied studs (specifically a 6/32 machine screw stud)

Posted By: tlj3071 on Nov 08, 2013 06:35PM Category: Production

Hello,

we tested the vertical pull-out resistance very similar to PEM studs (let me get back to you with the actual numbers.)

The shear strengths is >10MPa. The head of a 6-32 stud/standoff is 7mm, resulting in an area of about 40mm^2. This means about 400N shear strength.

Best regards,

Diane

Posted By: DianeHaensel on Nov 11, 2013 09:23PM

I've had studs placed on two 14"x8½" panels, and roughly half of the studs came loose for a number of reasons before the the final installation of the panel. Personally I think the epoxy is too hard or brittle. I think there needs to be some refining to the stud fixing process before it's deemed reliable. Also FPE could explain some current limitations of the use of studs, to the end user.

Posted By: KenTech on Jan 08, 2014 12:54PM

Hello,

This is concerning and you shouldn't accept such unsatisfactory service from us.

Our customer service will get in touch with you and resolve this problem. Thank you for your feedback on this. We will certainly look into the epoxy process.

Kind regards,

DIane

Posted By: DianeHaensel on Jan 08, 2014 09:34PM

For years I have used the following:

I had the panel drilled with blind threaded holes (either 6-32 or 8-32). In these holes I inserted 1/2" long setscrews and used Loctite to ensure that they wouldn't come loose.

These front panels were used on standard 19" rack enclosures the setscrews through holes in the front edges of the side panels and held in place with pem nuts.

Best regards,

Dave

Posted By: raleighaudio on Jan 09, 2014 07:13PM

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+