Support Forum

Archiv:

• Bugs in Mac FPD

Just wanted to pass along a few bugs that exist in the mac version of the FPD software. This is regarding version 4.11, the intel version, and I'm running it on a 2007 macbook running os x 10.6.7.

The mouse scroll wheel behavior is settable via the edit>settings>interface menu, but the setting does not stick outside of the current session as it should. Currently I need to reset this setting to my preferred setting - scroll wheel scrolling the file rather than zooming it - every time I run the software. There should be a way to make a users choice of this setting a default setting.

Changing the fill color in hpgl engravings doesn't change them - they always revert to whatever they were originally. I have to reopen the file in a windows based version of FPD to change it and have the change stick.

Ordering - currently there is no way to order more than one panel design in a single order. Although there are slots for this in the order window, there is no way (that I've found) of adding other panels.

Hopefully these can get passed on to whoever can fix these bugs - thanks!

Posted By: Stephen Drake on Apr 14, 2011 02:03AM Category: Front Panel Designer

• Beveled Oval Slot

I wish to make an oval shaped slot that has beveled edges. how can i do that?

So for example I want a .5" wide by 2" long oval slot with a 45 degree bevel on the inside edge. (not actual dimensions just for example)

Posted By: Dave Meyers on Apr 04, 2011 01:57AM Category: Front Panel Designer

• Uncertain Thickness of Panel

I will be sending in my own panels for machining, however I am unsure as to how thick I should state they are in the FPE software.

The panels have "flanges" along their "circumference," used for mounting the side and top panels to the front and rear panels. Think of these as angle brackets which are permanently welded to the panel.

Further, the panels have actually been milled so that the bulk of the area is thinned out even further. This picture should (I hope) demonstrate what I mean:

All cutting would be in the thinned area only.

Given the thinned part is 4mm thick, the panel proper is 8mm thick, and the panel + flanges is 12mm high when laid on its back, which number should I put into the software?

I would guess 4mm, since this is the thickness to be cut. However, I am uncertain of how the cnc software actually works, if it is concerned with the thickness to be cut, or the total height of the total piece of metal.

I hope this all makes sense, it is rather confusing :( I am happy to clarify anything and everything.

Posted By: Douglas Krause on Apr 03, 2011 10:06PM Category: Front Panel Designer

• White macro text is not visible in preview

I have several macros that I use quite often that are just text.

Part Number

Cage Code

Company Name

Serial #

The text is engraved with a white fill color.

Since the background color for the Macro Preview window is white, the macro is not visible in the preview, except the insertion points.

If text = white, then text in preview should = black.

Posted By: Terry Best on Mar 30, 2011 03:57PM Category: Whishes

• Selection line engraving

Hi,

How can I select a line engraving not by the middle but by the left ou right corner. It's for join two line with 90°

In the older release, it's is possible.

Thanks

Posted By: NOËL François on Mar 13, 2011 10:08AM Category: Front Panel Designer

• Macro features

Hi,

We use Front Panel Express frequently across our offices and as such we have initiated a plan for a company library of approved components. Here is a list of issues we have come up with that prevent us from managing and organizing this "library" efficiently:

* re-organizing of Macro shapes: please add support for dragging/dropping shapes to re-organize the library file

* "smarter parts": a lot of components have minimum or maximum panel thickness spec's. Currently there is no way to document this in a macro shape except in the name. Ideally, the Macro part would automatically adjust the mill-out depth depending on the thickness of the panel that the part is dropped own on.

* overlay/outline: a lot of components have a flange or similar that won't be machined. Currently, to facilitate proper placement of such parts (for example MIL style connectors), we have added a (red colored) outline to the macro part. This allows us to better visualize and space components on the front panel while guaranteeing that we don't have colliding flanges/parts, but we have to manually go in and un-group all the Macro parts and manually delete these outlines before ordering. As mentioned in another recent thread, a document or non-design layer would be very helpful.

* more "property" fields for macro's. These would be stored with the shape but have no machining effect. A little side-bar could show this information, or maybe add the fields to the "object properties" view? Fields we want to see are: vendor, part#, revision, Comments/Notes with the last being a larger text box. This would to some degree alleviate the fact that the parts are not smart as we could type in min/max panel thicknesses in the part comment section.

I'm sure I/we will have more questions/comments and requests, but mainly the main thing we have issues with right now are all related to the Macro implementation and features that are missing in that. We hope to see these improved soon!

If I was not clear on certain things, let me know and I can clarify. If you disagree, I'm open to discussions, maybe there is a better way or a good reason not to do something?

Thanks for reading!

Kjell

Posted By: Kjell-Edmund Ims on Feb 24, 2011 07:11PM Category: Whishes

Please enter your message:

* = required field

•   
  •   

Facebook Linked In Youtube Google+