Support Forum

Looking for more? You may find interesting information here.

All Categories > Front Panel Express LLC Forum > Wishes > Multiple grid Setup
Total Posts: 4 - Pages (1): [1]
Author: R_Phoenix
Posted: Aug 30 2011 - 02:27 PM
Subject: Multiple grid Setup
A way to set up multiple grids and a shortcut keys to switch between them.

This can help work with a mix of inch and metric dimensions and I don't have to do the conversions.

Plus it allows me to quickly change the grid for precision placement/adjustment.

Or at least add a shortcut key to move the object half grid spacing.
Author: paulbirkeland
Posted: Aug 30 2011 - 03:05 PM
Subject: re: Multiple grid Setup
Hello Glenn,

Thank you for contacting us regarding Front Panel Designer.

There is actually a way to switch the units of the grid, if you look along the bottom edge of the software, there is a row of drop down menus and displays.

The first is the cursor position box, then the units selector, and then the grid selector. This will let you change between metric and standard grids (you will probably want to set your User grid to be the standard measurement you are looking for).

As far as bumping objects goes, you can right click on an object and select the Move option. Next enter the desired bump size in the DX and/or DY boxes, then click OK.

This will provide the first bump to your object. To repeat, use the shortcut Ctrl+R to continue nudging the object.

You might want to check our our tutorials as well, they provide some helpful hints on moving objects:

Tutorials

Let us know if we can provide any additional assistance.

Sincerely,
Paul Birkeland
Front Panel Express
Customer Service Manager
Author: R_Phoenix
Posted: Aug 30 2011 - 03:50 PM
I understand I can change the grid, but lets look at the process involved to switch back and forth between a 1/8 grid and an 3/16 grid.

Click Grid
Click User
Click in grid dis X box
enter 0.125
Click in grid dis Y box
enter 0.125
Click OK
(switch back)
Click Grid
Click User
Click in grid dis X box
enter 0.1875
Click in grid dis Y box
enter 0.1875
Click OK

Now repeat that 20 times and see how much time is added to your drawing as opposed to a shortcut key that will switch between the two grids once the two grids are set up.

same goes for bumping objects, it's just simpler (if that's a word) to hold down a key and hit the arrow key. I use several different CAD programs and I guess I got spoiled.

Thanks

Author: paulbirkeland
Posted: Aug 30 2011 - 04:32 PM
Hello again Glenn,

Yes, you are correct, there is a bit of work to switch between custom grids. In the case of 1/8" and 3/16", I would recommend using the least common denominator for simplicity.

As far as bumping goes, the arrow keys will bump an object by one grid unit, so you can fairly easily nudge objects by grid units.

CAD programs do indeed have a lot more features built in, and at Front Panel Express we are adamant about keeping our software free, and consequently features like dimensioning are unlikely future additions.

If you still have access to those CAD programs, you can export a DXF from our software, then create a dimensioned drawing in 3rd party software.

Kindest Regards,
Paul Birkeland
Front Panel Express
Customer Service Manager
Total Posts: 4 - Pages (1): [1]
You must login to post a message to this conference.