Support Forum

Looking for more? You may find interesting information here.

All Categories > Front Panel Express LLC Forum > Front Panel Designer > Blind side holes and tapping
Total Posts: 2 - Pages (1): [1]
Author: ckm123
Posted: Aug 15 2011 - 10:44 PM
Subject: Blind side holes and tapping
Is it possible for you to drill holes into a cut edge? For example, if I wanted some holes drilled into the edge of a panel, could you do that?

It would be really useful for assembly.... Particularly if you could tap them as well.

Thx.

Chris.
Author: paulbirkeland
Posted: Aug 16 2011 - 01:35 PM
Subject: re: Blind side holes and tapping
Hello Chris,

Thank you for contacting us with your question.

We can indeed drill and tap the edges of our material. I will explain how to do so with an example below:

Let us say you have a panel that is 100mm wide and 200mm high with a 6mm thickness, and we will call it panel abc.fpd. In the Remarks for Production in the front panel properties, I would leave some notes that the edges of this panel will be tapped.

To tap the bottom edge, I would make a new design that is 100mm wide by 6mm high by 10mm thick, and check "use customer provided material". I would call this panel abc_bottom_edge_tapping.fpd.

I would then lay my holes out. If the layout was not completely symmetric, I would leave some notes in the Remarks for Production to help properly reference this file to the original panel.

The process could be repeated four times to make:
abc_top_edge_tapping.fpd (100mm wide by 6mm high)
abc_left_edge_tapping.fpd (6mm wide by 200mm high)
abc_right_edge_tapping.fpd (6mm wide by 200mm high)

You could also combine the top/bottom and left/right edges into one file if the hole pattern was the same, and we strongly recommend this if at all possible.

Do remember to upload all the necessary files to your order before submitting it online.

We look forward to integrating this process into our software in a future release to remove the requirement of multiple files.

If you have any additional questions regarding this process, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Kindest Regards,
Paul Birkeland
Total Posts: 2 - Pages (1): [1]
You must login to post a message to this conference.